If you see a turtle nest, be careful to not disturb it! Here are some Do’s and Don’ts about sea turtle nesting season.
Photo Credit: John Mon Fish Imagery
- Turtles need personal space too – stay at a distance and remain quite
- Cut the lights – use a red LED flashlight & lower brightness on cellphones in order to keep from distracting the hatchlings
- Keep it Clean – Throw away all trash that could potentially harm hatchlings and/or obstruct their path
- Get involved – Help create a safer environment for all sea turtles
- Do NOT disturb – disturbing and/or harassing the hatchlings is ILLEGAL
- Don’t NOT fill in the gaps – Gaps and/or holes in the sand (from sandcastles maybe) can prevent hatchlings from reaching their destination. Take initiative by filling in visible holes